Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Lava Land Part 27: Symbols

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers




Finding Symbols Everywhere 

Harry Kim wants to reopen Pohoiki Beach Park, the true heart of Puna, as soon as the infrastructure (roads, electricity, water) is in place, provided that the lava doesn’t begin  flowing again. As soon as it opens, the community can begin healing by reconnecting with the ocean and each other. For people like us, who have lost a home, land and belongings, it will be a partial healing, but a healing nonetheless.


Week two of yoga. The word/idea of the week is the concept of enough. My yoga instructor said, “Ask yourselves this question. How do we know when we’ve had enough?” She gave us an example. She was at a party with a slip-n-slide and asked herself if it was time to stop, rationalizing that though she and her kids were having fun, there was the possibility of someone being injured if they continued to play on it. She asked the class to reflect on how we know when we've had enough.


A new "tag" on the ground at Honolii
I am reflecting, using the concept of enough, as I replace belongings.  What should I replace? I have two pairs of yoga pants. I used to have five. Is two enough? Only my favorites made it into my go bag. When I say the word of the week is enough, it prompts my husband to say Dayenu, referring to a song of gratitude we sing each year at our Passover seder table,
Ironically, Rosh Hashanah, began this past Sunday. A new year with new beginnings and a chance for spiritual rebirth.  We dipped apples in honey with our former Kapoho neighbors to symbolically express our hope for a sweet year.

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers

2 comments: