Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Lava Land Part 30: I Count My Blessings

    Before I say anything else, I want to say that every day I miss Kapoho, I miss Pohoiki as it was and I miss our community. Throughout May I thought about what was I doing on each of its days last year. I have had to restrain myself from looking at pictures and videos too often because it isn’t productive and it makes me too sad. 

    Of the few possessions I chose to take, one was a small gold compact with the words “I count my blessings” written in rhinestones. It belonged to my grandmother. It contains a small photo album filled with pictures of my parents on their wedding day and my baby pictures-her blessings.  I came across it yesterday and remembered I had come across the same phrase in a book I read last week in which one of the characters explains that he got through his time as a prisoner of war by counting his blessings every day, using them as a mantra.

Now I will count my blessings.


I am thankful for the friends and the community organizations that gave us support. 
I am thankful for the friendships that have become stronger through our shared experience.
I am thankful we see our son more often now, since he lives in Hilo too.
I am thankful that our daughter is so strong, she's been able to process our shared loss while she's been away at school. 
I am thankful for the new opportunities and friendships we've made this past year.
I am thankful for our lives becoming interesting and unpredictable.  I loved our Kapoho life and the predictable rhythm of our days there. I loved the solitude that came with living in a rural area. I miss it, but I am choosing to embrace this new life we have been given.

I still feeling exhausted from the effort it took to get where we are right now, 
but as the land of Puna has been re-born, 
so have we. 


By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers

1 comment:

  1. Aloha. First of all I love your book and am sending them as gifts. Such a great book but I did just get it so did not know about the lava flow and your loss. I am new to your Blog. We use ti live in Ocean View and grew Proteas. We left Hawaii in 2009 because after the earthquake. there was sulfur coming out of fishers on our property and it killed 3 acres of flowers started to eat our roof and killed our cat. We were having medical problems too. We now live Mainland in Spokane, Washington. Maybe I will order a Blanding to have in my home. Mahalo Nui Loa for your book and much Aloha to you and your family. Sheila Vitulli bvsv@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete