Thursday, June 7, 2018

Lava Land Part 11: Stewards of the Land

Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers

Our sweet beach cottage.

I wish I never had to hear the words Fissure 8 again.  “Fuck Fissure 8," is what I want to say but my Hawaiian friend said to me, “We are stewards of the land.”
I want to think of it like that instead of being angry at God or  Goddess.  If this is Pele’s way of rebirthing the land, maybe I  should listen and hear that this is an opportunity for our own rebirth.  I am scared at this abrupt change of direction in our lives, being forced to make new decisions about the course it will take. I want community more than ever.  We are all grieving.  Some of us have lost homes but all of us have lost our favorite places along Puna's coastline.  
Everything about this past week has been hard. Everything seems like a big effort.  Even opening and closing unfamiliar doors seems like effort.   I have no routine anymore. Humans and animals need routine. My dog and I are working on a new one at our temporary residence with our good friends.  

The Access
I am trying to let go of the possessions I no longer possess. It is painful. I want to stop waking up in the middle of the night thinking of what I've lost.   This will probably take some time.  
I miss my daily life most of all, the simple, quiet Kapoho life I was privileged to live for 25 years.  We married, had children and watched many other children of Puna grow up during this time.  They were beach kids with tough “Hawaiian feet” running barefoot over pavement and lava with their pick of swimming spots scattered throughout the community. All of those Kapoho places are gone now, but our family is safe and most importantly and we are surrounded by an outpouring of love from extended family and friends.

Kapoho Bay being filled with lava.
I am writing to share our experience with the hope that those who are going through this with us will find comfort and feel less alone.  All of us lava evacuees whether we have lost homes or not, are kin now.  Everyone who has been to Puna’s most beautiful coastal spots is mourning.
As the volcano goddess Pele rebirths the land, so be it that all lives changed by her flow will be reborn too.  The universe has a different plan than the one we planned for.  

Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment