Friday, June 22, 2018

Lava Land Part 15: The Spirit of Aloha Lives On

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers






Over the past few days I've called orchid growers all over the state to source cut orchids for my internet florist business and they have confirmed what I’d already suspected would happen as a result of six Kapoho nurseries being destroyed.  There is a severe shortage of Hawaii cut orchids and there will be for some time.  While signing up for FEMA I spoke to one grower and who said, “I’m in the late afternoon of my life.  I don’t have the time to rebuild.”  With Thailand underbidding Hawaii in the orchid industry, I wonder how many will decide to rebuild.

Ready for work (and play)
Some Kapoho residents, like my husband Drew, a landscape gardener whose business was located entirely in Kapoho and Mitzi Bettencourt, owner of Little Big House Hawaii, not only lost their homes, they lost their businesses as well.  
Bettencourt, a 30 year resident, designed, remodeled and managed many of the homes in her Vacationland subdivision.  “Her” homes had a distinctive eclectic island style and in the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright, her interiors were inspired by environment and functionality.  

Perfect island style kitchen designed by Mitzi Bettencourt
So many have lost work as a result of this eruption.  How many people will choose or even have the option to stay in Puna with the eruption so unstable?  I fear for the future of Pahoa after walking its streets recently.

On a positive note, the generosity of people during this time has been uplifting.  Today I was in Hilo shopping for basic household necessities since mine are under the lava with my house.  It was painful making decisions, remembering the items I was replacing.  At the checkout counter a woman who had overheard my conversation with the cashier approached me in the parking lot.  She pressed money into my hand and when I protested she insisted and offered me a free weekend at her vacation rental in Volcano.
Mitzi signs were everywhere in her beloved Vacationland.
I’d never met her before and she’d introduced herself as Bernie when I thanked her.  My friend Rosemarie said, “Can you imagine that ever happening on the mainland?”  Truly I cannot.  Several hours later, after finding her rental listing on the internet, I received an email. She is the mother of one of my Maui business contacts, someone I work with on a weekly basis, and she put it all together after looking at our family’s gofundme page.  I welcome anyone who has lost something as a result of this eruption to share their story about the kindnesses of others.  The spirit of Aloha lives!


3 comments:

  1. Such a sweet story. Thank you for sharing. I know "receiving" is actually a muscle I have had to learn and develop. Jill, I see you stretching that muscle now as you create a new life for yourselves with grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gofundme.com%2Fmichelle-bettencourt-kilauea-relief&h=AT1NVq5Xsglx6bx7FGF6otvIQ0gsWygmUtFezUPnoyzOruvQKhuLmPyuNrYnZe8gZvA_fkUP3FHqk3vr80SgbKLlbF5_V0eIn2lEN79_h-YrvwpgES5eJpbOC5luH6hO7PG0bw&s=1

    As you have lost your livelihood, so has Mitzi! Would you be willing to share her GoFundMe page set up by her family and friends? Spread that aloha spirit far and wide.❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To donate to Mitzi please copy the link that Beth has provided above.

      Delete