Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Lava Land Part 16: Acceptance

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers



We've moved to a long term rental.  At first Luna, our dog, was afraid to explore the yard.  Too much change.  It  was our third move in a month.  I get it.  It has been a few days and now she as settled in and is smiling again.  Yes, dogs do smile. It feels so good knowing we will not be moving again in another two weeks.  I know we are so much more fortunate in that we have found a good rental, but that didn’t stop me from having a meltdown a few days ago while shopping for a kitchen trash can.  They were on a high shelf and I couldn’t reach. I am 5’ tall.  The lids were scattered around the ground, none of them matching by the time I was done.  Choosing a trash can is not supposed to be challenging.  I did finally choose one.  I never would have imagined needing to choose household basics again in my lifetime.   While I waited in line, I began crying and by the time I walked out I was all in.  I haven’t cried as much as you would think I would during this time even though I’ve been so sad.  I’ve been too busy looking for a rental house, making to do lists and working on our insurance claim.  I called one of my Kapoho friends while driving back to our temporary rental.  All of you who have been affected by this lava flow, whether you have lost your home or business, do not retreat.  Reach out, call your neighborhood friends and talk about it.  They will understand and it will help your healing process.  Some day we won’t feel so dead inside and will begin looking forward. 

Volcanic Fireworks
I was interested in Hawaii island's volcanic eruptions before this one began and had been researching lava flows on the east side of the island for my next novel.  One of my library books, “The Archeology of Puna”, a geological survey of Kalapana, was in my house when the lava came.  The library has given me a pass on this book and I won't have to pay the replacement cost.  That is better than "the dog ate my homework".  Just kidding, the book really is under many feet of a'a.

I am looking forward to having a boring day with nothing to do but lay in my hammock and I hope it's soon.  
Happy Independence Day!

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids"
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're feeling the good of the "now" and with your insights you'll help yourself to continue to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's 2 a.m. and I can't sleep. Spent the 4th with Margie & family in Nanawale. The lava glow is enormous and close in Nanawale. I hope it's safe. Glad Luna is smiling again!

    ReplyDelete