Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Lava Land Part 20: Lokahi


By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers



Big Day at Pohoiki   photo credit: Jade Steele
I am heavy hearted now after waking up to see that the lava is so close to Pohoiki and it may go today. Shack's and Bowl's are gone and we can now only go back to those special places in our memories.   We had the hope, like we did with our house for the final few days before it went, that it would be spared because Kapoho, Ahalanui  Beach Park, Shacks and Bowls?  Surely we were due a miracle.  So strange that we were not physically there to bare witness to this passing, because it feels so personal.

One of many family days spent by Shack's & Bowl's.
Pulling up memories this morning. The first time I saw the raw beauty of Pohoiki and riding my first waves in 1st Bay, having newly arrived, then unmarried, from Southern California.  “Stay between that palm and that dead tree,” some local kids told me.  I got whiplash- the waves were much faster than what I was used to.
Fast forward to the first time we brought our kids there to surf Pohoiki after learning on the gentle waves just beyond Champagne Pond and all the days and years after. Aloha, Pohoiki.


We lava refugees need to choose our future, once we can think clearly again and not just let life happen.  What do we want to manifest?  I believe on this island we make a reality out of what we manifest, meaning the goals we make.  Despite our losses and with the lava continuing to flow seemingly without an end in sight, there is positive energy on this island.  I think you need to believe and do the work.  For me, I am making a new home for my family and wading through the sea of paperwork so I can get back to writing my second book.  Some days I feel like I’m accomplishing nothing but my husband and I refuse to let these losses, though so painful, defeat us.  

Lokahi is a Hawaiian word meaning harmony and balance and I strive to find moments each day to feel its meaning.



By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers


1 comment: