Sunday, August 5, 2018

Lava Land Part 22: Navigating This New Life

By Jill Steele
Author "Blood on the Orchids
Owner Hawaiian Magic Tropical Flowers




Art Therapy at Wailoa Center
This morning I went to a healing art class for lava evacuees.  It would have been healing even without the art, being surrounded by “my people." A counselor and an art expert facilitated us in identifying and addressing our emotions through drawing and color.  The class is free to lava evacuees and will continue through August each Thursday at the Wailoa Center in Hilo from 9:30 am to 11:30 am.  The deadline for registration is August 9 and no pre-registration is required. 
Exploring Hilo
I have experienced many acts of kindness since losing our home to the lava.  My high school friend’s mother, who was like a second mother to me all those years ago, asked, “What can I do?”  I told her I missed the salad bowl they’d sent as a wedding gift and last week we received a beautiful wood replacement bowl.  Now we will continue to think about her as we toss our salads.  Another friend, a sales rep for kitchen product designers, (lucky me, right?) sent a care package containing, amongst other things, kitchen towels with the caption “Seas the Day” with a picture of a mermaid.  

In a way it feels like we have gone back to the time of our dating in Los Angeles, only now we are exploring Hilo and the Hamakua coast.  Joy is creeping back in even though there are times throughout the day when my heart aches for my home and I’m missing daily swims in the warm, clear water of Champagne Pond. I’m sorry for all of you at earlier stages, still struggling with the details of insurance and housing worries.  It will get better if you remain focused on moving forward.  My husband says that one needs to actively make the choice to heal.  Wise words I think and I will keep trying.

2 comments:

  1. That is so true. I am from Kapoho as well. And realized I needed to actively put happy places in my life daily. But what if you were doing all that. Exploring ...hiking....coping. Then on one of your outings your best friend dog who shared all these diversions....got run over?

    ReplyDelete